Philip Juras’s exhibit of landscape paintings celebrates the rich aesthetics, ecology, and history of Illinois prairies. Over a five-year period, guided by some of the foremost prairie conservationists in Illinois and by his own research, Juras traveled from his home in Athens, Georgia, to the Chicago area and beyond to discover—and rediscover—a vision of an ecosystem that has virtually vanished in North America. More than a dozen larger sized studio canvases and many smaller field paintings depicting remnants, restorations, and imagined re-creations take the viewer on a journey of prairie landscapes from the Wisconsin border to the southern end of the state. This body of work continues Juras’s exploration of natural landscapes, especially historical grassland ecosystems.
Presented through a partnership of the Chicago Botanic Garden, The Field Musuem, The Forest Preserves of Cook County, The Nature Conservancy, and Openlands.
- May 8, Grigsby Prairie Walk, by invitation, Barrington, IL.
- May 27, 7 to 8pm ET, virtual event: Book Launch Party: Philip Juras for Picturing the Prairie, in Conversation with Wendy Paulson, Avid Bookshop, Athens, GA.
- June 22, noon CT, virtual event: Prairie Landscapes Rediscovered, Keller Science Action Center at the Field Museum, Chicago, IL.
- June 24, virtual event, by invitation, Openlands, Chicago, IL.
- August 5, gallery tour for CBG Art Camp, Chicago Botanic Garden, Glencoe, IL.
- August 10, virtual event, by invitation, for Plein Air Painters Chicago.
- August 25, reception, by invitation, Chicago Botanic Garden, Glencoe, IL.
- August 26, gallery tour for Lake Forest Open Lands, by invitation, Chicago Botanic Garden, Glencoe, IL.
- September 12, Burnham Wildlife Corridor Walk with the Keller Science Action Center at the Field Museum, Chicago, IL.
- September 22, private event, Nachusa Grasslands, IL.
- September 26, Artist’s presentation for Grand Prairie Friends, Champaign, IL.
- “Painting Prairies of Illinois: An Interview with Philip Juras”, Minding Nature: Spring 2020.
- “Chicago Region – Paintings of Prairie Environments By Philip Juras”, prepared by the Field Museum, 2020.
- “Picturing the Prairie: A Vision of Restoration”, A Prairie Calling: Issue 5 – May 2021.
- “Philip Juras Exhibition”, An 8 minute video with captions, prepared by the Chicago Botanic Garden, 2021 (Vimeo).
- “Illinois Is a Natural Beauty in New Exhibit ‘Picturing the Prairie’”, by Patty Wetli, WTTW PBS, June 5, 2021.
- “Prairie Landscapes Rediscovered”, recording of artist’s presentation and panel discussion via Zoom, Field Museum, June 23, 2021.
- “Prairies, and the people who shape them”, by Chistos Economou, Blog: Strategies for Stewards: from woods to prairies, June 28, 2021.
- “Picturing the Prairie: A Conversation with Philip Juras and Jerry Adelmann”, 32 minute video (gallery tour) prepared by Openlands, released June 2021 (Vimeo).
- “Picturing the Prairie”, by April Anderson, Quintessential Barrington, July 2021. (print only)
Buy the exhibit book: Picturing the Prairie: A Vision of Restoration
Works in the Exhibition (organized by size):
Picturing the Prairie, Joutras Gallery, Regenstein Center, Chicago Botanic Garden, 2021. Photo by Robin Carlson.